Cinco De Mayo
Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Stuffed with Cheese
– 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
– 3 chilies chipotles en adobo, finely chopped
– 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the chilies
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
– 1 tablespoon minced lime zest
– 12 medium-thick slices lean bacon, cut in half crosswise
– 24 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied with tails attached
– Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– 1 1/2 cups shredded Manchego, Monterrey jack or other good melting cheese
– About 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Dry the shrimp with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper and stuff with cheese. Push the sides together and wrap with cooked bacon slice, covering all the cheese so it won’t melt out. If necessary, secure with a toothpick.
In the same frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add a few of the bacon-wrapped shrimp and fry, turning frequently and adding more oil as needed to prevent sticking, until the bacon is browned and the shrimp are pink, about 10 minutes. Transfer to absorbent paper. Repeat until all shrimp are fried.
Serve the shrimp on plates and accompany with the chipotle mayonnaise.